Premium Sports AnalysisDigital Edition
NewYorkYankeesCommunity
·

May 22, 2026, 10:30 AM CUT

How the Mets Could Handle Robert Jr. and Jorge Polanco [Opinion]

Apr 14, 2026; Los Angeles, California, USA; New York Mets designated hitter Jorge Polanco (11) congratulates shortstop Francisco Lindor (12) on a solo home run against the Los Angeles Dodgers during the first inning at Dodger Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

The New York Mets are facing a roster crisis as Luis Robert Jr. and Jorge Polanco remain sidelined. With no clear timeline for their return, the front office must decide how to navigate a 21-27 record without its key veterans as they languish near the bottom of the standings in 22nd.

The situation with Luis Robert Jr.

The Mets brought in Robert Jr. via a trade with the Chicago White Sox, by taking on his entire $20 million salary for 2026 plus another $20 million club option for 2027 with a $2 million buyout.

The expectation was that he would provide elite defense and base-stealing. He brought the high potential of a former All-Star and Silver Slugger who hit 38 home runs in 2023.

However, his season with the Mets started slowly. He batted just .224 with two home runs and eight RBIs in his first 24 games before going down for an uncertain period with lower back tightness.

Apr 26, 2026; New York City, New York, USA; New York Mets center fielder Luis Robert Jr. (88) reacts after popping out with the bases loaded in the eighth inning against the Colorado Rockies at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Wendell Cruz-Imagn Images

Previously, Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said, "Luis is not progressing the way we would like [him] to" and recently confirmed again that he still hasn't commenced any baseball activities.

His absence opened the door for Mets' 21-year-old top prospect A.J. Ewing.

And according to Anthony Franco of MLB Trade Rumor, "It’s too early to simply lock Ewing into the 2027 center field job, but the Mets would be better for it if he nails down the position with a strong rookie season."

Meanwhile, Jorge Polanco is looking at a painful recovery

Polanco only managed to play in 14 games for New York, producing a .179 batting average before injuries derailed his season.

His main problem is left Achilles bursitis, and the pain has not gone away cleanly. A month ago, he got a platelet-rich plasma injection and felt better.

“They explained to me it’s going to be painful,” Polanco said. “It’s tolerance of pain right now. So I’m just getting to a point where I can work it out and get it strong so I can play.”

Last season for the Seattle Mariners, Polanco slashed an impressive .265/.326/.495 with 26 home runs, eight stolen bases, and a 132 wRC+ over 138 games. When the Mets signed him to a two-year, $40 million contract, they hoped Polanco would do the same this year, too.

If Polanco is unable to play with pain, he might require surgery to shave down his inflamed bursal tissue. However, Polanco has been traveling with the team bus during their road trip through Washington and Miami, taking part in limited baseball activities.

"Hopefully it goes away, but it's something he's probably going to have to manage," manager Carlos Mendoza said.

Read more at the New York Yankees Community!

Written by

Md Saife Fida

Edited by

Sagnik Bagchi