Yankees' Bullpen Pursuit Hits Roadblock After Padres Reject Trade Offer

August 1, 2016 - BRIAN CASHMAN baseball executive for the New York Yankees at a press conference PK Pressekonferenz before the game at Citifield Brian Cashman Press Conference - ZUMAw133
August 1, 2016 - BRIAN CASHMAN baseball executive for the New York Yankees at a press conference PK Pressekonferenz before the game at Citifield Brian Cashman Press Conference - ZUMAw133
The San Diego Padres rejected a trade offer from the New York Yankees on Sunday ahead of the August 3, 2026 MLB trade deadline.
According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Yankees put right-hander Will Warren on the table for Padres setup man Adrian Morejon, and San Diego said no.
Whether other players were attached to the offer wasn't disclosed. New York has also reportedly been interested in Padres closer Mason Miller for weeks.
The framework, as reported, was a straight swap: New York's 27-year-old starter for San Diego's 27-year-old left-handed reliever.
Warren carries team control through 2030 and won't even reach arbitration until 2028. It made him an appealing chip for a Padres rotation that's been running thin.
He's 8-5 with a 4.14 ERA and 1.36 WHIP across 108 2/3 innings and 21 starts this season. And he's coming off one of his best outings of the year — 6 2/3 scoreless innings against the Cubs on Friday.
Despite that, Padres president of baseball operations A.J. Preller's office rejected the offer.
Morejon, meanwhile, has been in the Padres' organization since signing in 2016. He moved from the rotation into a bullpen role and became one of the most effective setup arms in baseball.
He posted a 2.62 ERA over 196 innings — the third-heaviest workload among all relievers in 2025. And this season, he has a 3.07 ERA with a strikeout rate near 28% and a walk rate under 7%.
His ground-ball rate has jumped to a personal-best 61.5%, fourth among qualified relievers. Across 52 appearances and about 60 innings, he's sitting on a sub-1.10 WHIP.
Unlike Warren, Morejon will be a free agent once this season ends.
"At the end of the day, control what you can control," Warren said when asked about the trade buzz after his Friday start, per SNY.
"Like I said, whatever's going to happen is going to happen. So, that's never really been on my mind. I feel like, ever since I've been with the Yankees, that's been a thing, so I'm kind of used to it by now. But just taking it day by day and, again, whatever happens is going to happen."
What the Yankees Have Done So Far at This Deadline
Even though this particular trade hit a wall, the Yankees have not been sitting still.
On Saturday, they traded Camilo Doval to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Doval never found his groove in New York, posting a 4.63 ERA across parts of two seasons. In return, the Yankees received minor league catcher Omar Alfonzo and outfielder Luis Cruz.
The move cleared a bullpen spot and added some young depth to the farm system.
On Sunday, the Yankees traded for infielder Luis García Jr. from the Washington Nationals. They sent four right-handed pitchers to Washington: Yovanny Cruz, Jake Bird, Jack Cebert, and Ben Grable.
García is having the best season of his career, hitting .283 with 23 home runs and an .873 OPS. His .560 slugging percentage leads the entire National League.
He will help the Yankees offensively while stars like Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton, and Cody Bellinger remain on the injured list.
But even with these moves, the Yankees still have clear needs. The trade for Morejon was supposed to fix one of them. The bullpen is now thinner after losing Doval, Bird, and Cruz in just two days. The team also needs a right-handed hitting catcher. Austin Wells has struggled at the plate all season.
Read more at the New York Yankees Community!
Written by
Md Saife Fida